Renting out a council leasehold property

If you have a leasehold you wish to rent out, but it is located on land for which Harrow Council is the freeholder, you will need to do the following:

  • Get permission from Harrow Council
  • Provide us with your new mailing address/contact details
  • Ensure tenants comply with the requirements of the lease

You will be responsible for paying the service charges, maintaining the property and for the behaviour of your tenants, their family members and visitors.

If you don’t, tell us you are renting out your home you will have breached your lease and your building insurance will not be valid.

If you would like to rent your home you can complete the sub-let application form.

Apply to sub-let your home

I am renting out my property what must I do?

It is strongly advised that you seek professional advice before deciding to rent out your home. As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants.  

It is a criminal offence for you to provide an appliance or furniture that does not comply with the respective safety regulations.

Gas safety

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you are responsible for the installation, maintenance and safety checks of all appliances by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlords who fail to comply with the Gas Safety regulations can be held criminally liable and their insurance policy for the property may be invalidated. You can find out more at

Electrical safety

There is no legal requirement for landlords to have an electrical safety test carried out each year. However you must ensure that any electrical equipment provided is in a safe condition throughout the duration of any tenancy. It is recommended that you you inspect the accommodation within no more than a duration of 5 years between tests.

Installations and inspections should be carried out by a NICEIC qualified electrician. You can find more information and a useful guide on the Electrical Safety First website.

Fire safety

Properties built after 1992 are legally required to be fitted with a mains operated smoke alarm. Older properties do not have to comply, but landlords are strongly recommended to ensure battery operated smoke alarms are fitted and regularly maintained.

Landlords are also advised to provide fire blankets and/or extinguishers, particularly in kitchens. If a fire extinguisher is provided it should be serviced every 12 months.

If you let your residential property furnished you must ensure that certain types of furniture and furnishings provided meet the current safety regulations.

Furniture which complies carries a manufacturer's label, which must be permanent and non-detachable.  

These regulations are enforced by local Trading Standards Officers and apply to items such as:

  • arm chairs
  • suites
  • sofas
  • sofa beds
  • futons and other convertible furniture
  • beds
  • bed bases and headboards
  • mattresses, divans and pillows
  • nursery furniture
  • garden furniture which could be used indoors
  • loose, stretch and fitted covers for furniture
  • cushions, seat pads and pillows


If you are considering renting out your home, Harrow’s Help2let team can do it for you. We offer a tenant find and guarantee rent scheme.

Our tenant finding service guarantees your rental income with up to six months’ rent guarantee bond, rent deposit and rent in advance.  

We do not charge administration, letting or management fees and offer a quick and reliable service. You will also receive support from a dedicated and experienced account manager who will help to take all of the hassle out of letting your property.

For more information see