Home contents insurance for council tenants
If your home contents are damaged by fire, burst pipes or many other unforeseen events, it is unlikely that the council will be responsible for the cost of replacing your contents. It is your responsibility to insure your home contents. You can do this by making your own arrangements or through a scheme administered by the council on behalf of Aviva.
What does the council's home content insurance scheme cover?
The scheme is designed specifically for council tenants and offers insurance for home contents and tenant’s home improvements against:
- burst pipes
- other specified causes
The scheme has the following benefits:
- no policy excess, except for claims for accidental damage where a £50 excess will apply
- easy payment scheme - premiums paid along with your rent
- new for old cover, except for clothing and household linen
- includes insurance for accidental damage to television sets, DVD players, and home computers
- covers accidental damage to fixed glass in windows if you are responsible for the glass under your tenancy agreement
- insurance for home improvements, including decorations, wood or laminate flooring, that are normally excluded by home contents insurance
- cover for loss of keys and replacement of locks
- includes contents in outbuildings, garages, and sheds (up to £3,000)
- additional accidental damage cover can be added
How much does the scheme cost?
The scheme is open to Harrow Council tenants only, offering competitive rates. For a standard policy prices start from £0.39 per week for £4,000 cover. Or you can upgrade to a full accidental damage policy for £0.55 per week for £4,000 cover.
Optional extra cover for the policy includes:
- personal possessions
- hearing aids
- structure cover for: sheds, garages, greenhouses
This service is not available to leaseholders or non-Council tenants.