New council tenants

Home contents insurance for council tenants

If your home contents are damaged by fire, burst pipes or many other unforeseen events, it is unlikely that the council will be responsible for the cost of replacing your contents. It is your responsibility to insure your home contents. You can do this by making your own arrangements or through a scheme administered by the council on behalf of Thistle.

Harrow Council does not cover your home contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Pay As You Go Home Contents Insurance Scheme

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. The scheme is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

The scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Policy benefits

The scheme has the following benefits:

  • no policy excess, except for claims for accidental damage where a £50 excess will apply
  • easy payment scheme - premiums paid along with your rent 
  • new for old cover, except for clothing and household linen 
  • includes insurance for accidental damage to television sets, DVD players, and home computers 
  • covers accidental damage to fixed glass in windows if you are responsible  for the glass under your tenancy agreement 
  • insurance for home improvements, including decorations, wood or laminate flooring, that are normally excluded by home contents insurance 
  • cover for loss of keys and replacement of locks 
  • includes contents in outbuildings, garages, and sheds (up to £3,000) 
  • additional accidental damage cover can be added

How much does the scheme cost?

The scheme is open to Harrow Council tenants only, offering competitive rates. For a standard policy prices start from £0.39 per week for £4,000 cover. Or you can upgrade to a full accidental damage policy for £0.55 per week for £4,000 cover.

Optional extra cover for the policy includes:

  • personal possessions
  • wheelchairs
  • hearing aids
  • structure cover for: sheds, garages, greenhouses

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Ageas Insurance Limited. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording, which you should read carefully.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact us on 0208 424 1064.

How do I get further information and apply?

Before you apply, please read the following:

These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover.

To apply online:

Or, for an application pack, call 0208 424 1064

Please note that the insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

What to do if you have a complaint

It is always the intention to give you the best possible service but if You do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should follow the procedure.

See a copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaint’s procedure. For additional information, view our Complaints page.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online