General living noises
We request all residents to be tolerant of their neighbours' lifestyle as such noises are not created intentionally but are due to living in close proximity.
Examples of general living noises are:
- creaking floors
- doors opening and closing
- general conversations or
- children playing.
Some noise may be caused through normal behaviour occurring at unusual times because of different working patterns or lifestyles.
Laminate flooring can have the adverse effect of intensifying ordinary sounds of living, such as walking around or children playing.
To avoid disturbing neighbours when fitting laminate floors a good quality underlay should be used and rugs in areas of high foot traffic can also help.
If you are a tenant or leaseholder please check your lease to see whether you require written permission before installing laminate flooring.
What can I do about these noises?
If you are experiencing any of these issues:
- We would first suggest you have a friendly word with your neighbour about the problem where you feel safe doing so. If you are unsure how to approach them please refer to our 'top tips for approaching neighbours'
- If the situation does not improve, mediation may help you and your neighbour(s) understand each other’s point of view and reach a solution.
Report a noise nuisance
To report a noise nuisance you will need:
- information about what the noise nuisance is
- information on the occurrences of the noise such as time patterns
- details of where the noise nuisance is coming from