Construction and demolition noise can amount to statutory nuisance in certain circumstances.
The Control of Pollution Act 1974 gives powers to the council to restrict working hours and allow conditions to be stipulated on the types of machinery which are used on construction sites.
The hours permitted by Harrow Council for noisy works are:
- Monday to Friday: 8am - 6pm
- Saturday: 8am - 1pm
- Sunday and bank holidays: No noisy works permitted
If you are intending to have construction/ demolition works please ensure to inform all your neighbours who may be affected by noise.
Give them advance warning of the works and inform them of the duration and type of works that you intend to have carried out.
If you are experiencing issues with construction we would suggest you have a friendly word with those making the noise about the problem where you feel safe doing so.
If you are unsure how to approach them please refer to our 'top tips for approaching neighbours.'
Report a noise nuisance
To report a noise nuisance on line you will need:
- information about what the noise nuisance is
- information on the occurrences of the noise such as time patterns
- details of where the noise nuisance is coming from