Request a Council Tax refund


I have been given a discount can I get the money back?

If you had a balance on your account and we have made a change to reduce what you owe, then normally you will just be sent a new bill with lower instalments. If you want the overpayment refunded then please complete a refund form and covering letter that you don’t want it to be offset.

How will I get refund if I’m not able to get all the signatures?

You will need to provide evidence that you made the payments. If you can not do this without all the signatures, we will not be able to issue the refund where you were jointly and severally responsible for the council tax.

Does the refund need to be issued to my own bank account?

You will need to provide a reason why you are asking for the payment to be made to someone else and sign the declaration. This may be queried as normally payment will only be made back to the person who made payment.

How do I transfer money from one council tax account to another?

If you would like to transfer the money between your own council tax accounts, you will need to complete the refund form. If it's to another persons account then you will need to explain why. This may be queried and delay the request.

What happens if I don’t want to claim refund until a later date?

If it is an open account then any credit is normally used to reduce any current year instalments or if we get to the end of the year used to reduce the payments for the next year. The amount of credit used will be shown on the annual bill.