Pay your Council Tax

Direct Debit payments

Paying your council tax by Direct Debit can be very convenient and can help you to manage your payments. You can:

  • choose to pay over 12 monthly instalments instead of 10
  • choose the date the payment will be debited from a selection of three dates

Set up or change your existing Direct Debit

You can set up a new Direct Debit,  re-instate a previous Direct Debit or change your bank account details for an existing Direct Debit.

Before you start

You will need to have:

  • your council tax reference number;
  • your bank account details
  • If you are reinstating a Direct Debit you should contact your bank first. They may not be able to reinstate the Direct Debit without prior warning.
  • You cannot use this form if you have received a summons, instead complete the payment plan form.
  • Before you can access the form, you will be asked to sign in to your MyHarrow Account. If you do not have an account, please select 'Complete a form without logging in'.

Set up, change or re-instate a Direct Debit

You will receive a new bill when your Direct Debit application has been processed. The first payment will not be taken for at least 14 days after the bill is issued. Your instalments may change depending on the balance and your chosen payment plan.

Cancel your Direct Debit

To cancel your Direct Debit please contact your bank. If you have a balance on your council tax account a new bill will be sent to you within 20 workings days of you cancelling the Direct Debit.

If the reason for cancelling is that you have moved house, you must tell us you're moving home. The Direct Debit will stop after the balance is settled. If you have overpaid the credit will be refunded back to your bank account.

Missed Direct Debit payments

If a Direct Debit payment fails for any reason you will need to make the payment separately. The easiest way to do this is to make a card payment online. The Direct Debit will resume for the next payment unless it is cancelled.

Refunds for overpaid council tax

If you have overpaid your council tax and pay by Direct Debit, you do not need to apply for a refund. We will automatically refund the credit to your bank account.