There have been reports in multiple local authorities of fraudsters making contact by letter, phone, email and text message. The correspondence may appear genuine including headed paper and logos. They may offer council tax reductions and refunds or warn of increased liability if you fail to comply.
Please be aware that:
- The council will not call you to ask for payment over the phone. Always pay your council tax using our accepted Methods of payment
- If you need to provide information such as bank details, send it securely using the Evidence upload form
- If the council does write to you about a reduction or refund, the letter will have your name on it. It will not be addressed to 'The Occupier'
- A phone call from anyone offering to secure a valuation reduction is likely to be a scam. For legitimate information on valuation, see voa.gov.uk
- Do not follow any links in correspondence if you are not certain it is genuine. Instead visit harrow.gov.uk and navigate to the relevant section.
If you have been a victim of fraud, please report it to Action Fraud.