Council Tax and completion notices for new builds


I have received a completion notice. Do I need to pay anything?
A completion notice is only served when the council believes the property is complete, or could reasonably be complete within 3 months. Details about the process and how to appeal are on the completion notice you have received.

Making an appeal is not grounds to stop paying your council tax. If your appeal is agreed, but you overpay in the meantime, you can ask for a refund.

What should I do if I disagree with the start date on the completion notice?
The completion notice tells you how to make an appeal and the timescales to do this. Unless your appeal meets those standards you won't be able to make a submission. However, you may want to write to us explaining why you disagree so that we can review the start date. If we decline your request we'll let you know what the next stage of appeal is.

What should I do if I have received a completion notice, but the property is not complete?
The property may not be complete, but the notice has been served. The property has a date by when it could reasonably be expected to be complete; within 3 months. If you disagree with this then follow the appeal instructions on the completion notice sent to you.

What should I do if I have received completion notice for separate dwellings in a single building but am still paying for the building as a single dwelling?
When the completion notice is sent to you for the new properties, we will raise a request to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to remove the original property. Until they remove this from the local valuation list we will continue to charge the council tax.