We are pleased to announce a partial re-opening of library buildings and phased introduction of services.
Pinner Library will be re-opening with partial services on Tuesday 18th August 2020 to join Stanmore and Wealdstone Libraries which opened last month.
Due to the need to ensure that the libraries are Covid-19 secure in accordance with government guidelines the libraries will initially be providing specific services only to reduce close contact and avoid group activities.
Safety and social distancing
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at the entrance to libraries and we would ask all library members to use it.
- To maintain social distancing and provide a safe environment we will be limiting the number of people who can be in a library at any one time. There will be a queuing system in place. Please be patient, staff will advise you when you can enter the building.
- To help with this where possible we would ask adults to only bring one child with them to the library aged under 14 in light of the restricted numbers. All children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- There will be clear signs asking you to observe social distancing as well as one-way systems.
- Perspex screens will be at enquiry points where you interact with staff.
- In order to use a public computer we would ask you to wear gloves which will be provided on entry to the library.
- All library stock will be placed in quarantine for 72 hours when returned to us before it is made available for other customers to borrow.
The services that will be available
Returning of books and other stock items that are currently on loan. Trolleys will be available at the entrance to libraries and we would ask you to place your items on these.
Until we can open libraries for browsing we will be providing three options to borrow library items:
You can place orders in advance for up to 10 items based on your reading preferences, for example, Crime, Science-Fiction, favourite authors, subjects you would like, or age groups for children’s books.
Library staff will select these for you and will contact you when the order is ready to collect to arrange a time to visit.
For requests for specific titles please use the usual reservation process and place holds online from the library catalogue.
We will have lucky dip bags of books ready to read available for library members who prefer not to order in advance.
These will be surprise collections of books by genre or by age group for children. We would ask customers to borrow the whole collection.
The usual reservation service will be available for individual titles. We would just like to advise any titles not in stock within Harrow may take a little longer than usual to obtain.
- For order and collect titles please do not visit the library until you have been notified your items are ready for collection. This will be by prior arrangement and a date and time slot for collection will be provided.
- Public computers: a restricted number of PCs will be available in order to maintain social distancing but it will be possible to print from the computers that will be in use. Please note these must be booked in advance. Computers will be available for 45 minute sessions to allow for keyboards and mice to be sanitised between use. In order to use a public computer all library customers will be asked to wear gloves which will be provided on arrival.
- We would like all library members to be aware that in order to maintain social distancing and provide a safe environment there will be a queuing system in place and staff will advise you when you can enter the building. Hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance to libraries and we would ask you to use this.
- There will be restrictions on the number of people who will be able to access the libraries at any one time. Where possible we would ask adults to only bring one child with them to the library aged under 14 in light of the restricted numbers. All children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
The services that will not be available
- Browsing of stock
- Study space and seating areas
- Public toilets and baby changing areas will not be in use
- Newspapers and magazines
- Group events such as storytime and reading groups
- We are unable to sell parking permits and bio-bags at this time.
Pinner, Stanmore Library and Wealdstone Library opening times:
Other Harrow Libraries will start offering similar services after the initial pilot, however Gayton Library will not be re-opening as this library will be relocating to the new Greenhill Library in the near future.
Service updates, changes or closures
|Pinner library will be open from Tuesday 18th August 2020. Find out more about the order and collect service.|
|Stanmore and Wealdstone libraries are now open. Find out more about the order and collect service.|
|We have a 24 hour renewal telephone line - 0333 370 4700|
There are no charges for overdue items as from 19th March while library services are closed until normal services are resumed.
Return dates for all items on loan have been extended until the 1st October 2020. Once libraries start to re-open items on loan can continue to re renewed online at harrow.gov.uk/libraries or using the 24 hour telephone renewal line: 0333 370 4700
Library memberships that are about to expire will automatically be extended until the 1st October 2020.
Access to online services
Online library services are available:
- eBooks, eAudiobooks, Newspapers and digital magazines/comics
- General interest and research sites
- Children’s resources
- From RB Digital: Online courses – a wide range available including languages, lifelong learning, personal enrichment.
- IndieFlix – a streaming movie service free for library members with award winning films, classic tv, box office hits
- Qello – the world’s largest collection of music concerts and documentaries
For more information see Free digital newspapers, magazines and eBooks.
If you are not already a library member you can join online.
You will be given a temporary membership number which will allow immediate access to our online services.
Useful resources while social distancing is in place
We have put together a range of online resources which you can use to entertain yourself or your family while libraries are closed. Updated on a weekly basis you will find information on homework help for children, culture and activities, health and wellbeing as well as recommended reads and information on how to access our eBooks. For details see Harrow library resources toolkit.
Follow Harrow Libraries social media accounts. We are offering a range of library services online. Keep up to date with library news, watch a storytelling session or craft activity, join in with our LEGO club. We are in the process of setting up a virtual book club. Follow our Twitter and Facebook accounts for more information: