Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support while away from home

How long can I be away from home for?

Your housing benefit can continue during your absence as long as you return home within either:

  • 13 weeks if you remain in Great Britain
  • 4 weeks if you leave Great Britain

If your absence exceeds these limits your benefits will stop on the day that you leave.

Great Britain is the official collective name of England, Scotland and Wales. It does not include Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Therefore, if you travel to these locations or other countries, shorter time limits will apply.

Council tax support can continue for up to 13 weeks regardless of whether you remain in Great Britain.

Longer time limits apply in exceptional circumstances.