Hardship fund qualification and payments
To qualify for the hardship fund scheme you must:
- have lived in Harrow for 3 months (exceptions may be accepted, for example people fleeing violence, leaving residential care or prison)
- be aged 16 or over
- receive a means tested benefit such as universal credit, child/working tax credits, housing benefit, jobseekers allowance, pension credit, income support, council tax support or employment support allowance.
- not have savings that can meet the need in whole or in part
- not have other friends or family who can help you to resolve the emergency
- be eligible to access public funds
If there have been two awards from the hardship fund from anybody in your house in the last year you cannot make another claim.
Meeting all the above criteria does not guarantee an award. Your application will be referred to the hardship fund team to be assessed and will have to meet secondary criteria.
How will I receive the support?
If you meet the criteria and funding is still available, you will be provided with 'in kind' support to meet your need. For example, you may be provided with a voucher instead of cash to pay for food or travel.
Payments for food, travel and clothes
Payments for food, travel and clothes are made to successful applicants using pre-paid cards. Cards can only be used to purchase the items that were claimed for and will be rejected if attempts are made to use them for other goods or services. Council staff are able to see when and where the cards are used.
The hardship scheme is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10am-12pm.
Opening hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10am-12pmAddress: Access Harrow