What is adult social care?

Paying for adult social care

Unlike health care, social care is not free for everyone. To determine if you will need to pay for your social care, we will carry out a financial assessment. This will ordinarily take place at the same time of your care and support needs assessment.

The financial assessment will look at your:

  • income
  • savings and investments
  • benefits including tax credits

As a result of the assessment we will work out how much you will need to contribute towards your care. This may be some or all of the cost of the care, depending on the amount of income, savings and assets you have. Most people who use social care services will have to pay for all of the costs.

The different types of payment methods

A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the council that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to pay for their care costs. If you are eligible the council will pay your care home bills, and then you will repay the council when you sell your home. The council may charge a small amount of interest on the amount owed, and there may also be a fee for setting this arrangement up. The fees are set to cover the council’s costs and not to make a profit.

For more information and advice on paying for your care, please use the links below: