Harrow SEND Information, Advice and Support Service
Harrow Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (Harrow SENDIAS)
Formerly known as Harrow Parent Partnership Service
What we do?
We provide free impartial support, information and advice to parents and carers of children and young people aged up to 25 who have a special educational need or disability (SEND). We also support the children and young people themselves with matters relating to education, health and social care.
We work with parents and carers as well as young people themselves to help develop and maintain good relationships with schools, colleges, the local authority and others in order to secure the best outcomes for the person with SEND. We offer families support on their rights, roles and responsibilities within the SEND procedures.
We aim to empower parents, carers and young people to achieve their full potential by promoting a partnership approach between families, schools and other agencies. We firmly believe that parents, carers and young people have to be active participants in decisions made about their education, health and care. We work closely with other professionals to ensure that families’ voices are heard.
What does the service provide?
- Free, confidential and impartial advice, information and support on education, health and social care issues
- Support for parents/ carers and children/young people to express their views and wishes
- Support at meetings with nurseries, schools, colleges and the Local Authority
- Assistance with SEN and disability related paperwork
- Explaining SEND procedures
- Information, advice and support to help resolve conflicts and disagreements e.g. with schools, colleges and the Local Authority
- Advice on Health and Social Care, Personal Budgets, the law on SEN and Disability
- Support around the EHC plan process, including Independent Support for parents and young people undergoing statutory assessment for EHCPs (Education, Health and Care Plans)
- Confidential and impartial advice on SEND procedures, including when moving from one school to another and exclusion
- Signposting children, young people and parents to additional local and national services and sources, and help making referrals to services
Who can we help
We support parents/carers as well as children and young people themselves, who have any kind of educational additional need (learning, social, physical, medical etc.) aged 0 to 25 who live in the London Borough of Harrow, even if the child or young person goes to school / college elsewhere.
How to access the service?
Meetings at our offices or schools can be offered by appointment. We also support families and young people themselves via our telephone helpline, and electronically via email.
Tel: 020 8428 6487
Family Action Harrow SENDIAS Service,
We are in the same building as Kids Can Achieve and Harrow Parents 4 Disabled Children.
We are open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, during school term time, with additional 3 weeks: 28/08/17 - 01/09/17, 09/04/18 - 13/04/18 and 28/05/18 - 01/06/18