Paediatric Physiotherapy: Secondary Schools
Physiotherapists provide support to children and young people aged 11-18 years in secondary schools and further education colleges (or up to 19 if in special schools) with physical disabilities, severe/complex disabilities or long term mobility issues. The child or young person must have a Harrow GP and/or should be a Harrow resident.
What does the service provide?
The team aims to provide a high-quality, needs-led service to children and young people with physical and motor difficulties. To achieve this, we work in partnership with the children and young people, their parents or carers, teachers, teaching assistants, and other health, education and social care professionals and voluntary bodies.
Physiotherapy involvement is primarily carried out in partnership with the child or young person, parents, school staff and other professionals. This is done by:
- Assessment/review and report writing to establish how the pupil’s needs impact on their ability to access the school day.
- Joint target setting and strategy development with the child or young person and school staff, for inclusion into the individual educational plan.
- Direct therapy for children and young people with a specific clinical need as required. This always involves collaboration with school staff to ensure carryover into the classroom.
- Development of health care plans in collaboration with the child or young person, their families and other health professionals involved, enabling them to plan for their transition to adult health care.
- Attendance at Annual Reviews and Planning Meetings as necessary.
- Training to education staff.
Emphasis is placed on supporting the school so that strategies can be implemented throughout the school day.
How do I access the service?
Referrals need to be made by a medical practitioner (GP/consultant), a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) or other health professional. Parental consent is essential to all referrals.
Referrals are processed by the principal physiotherapist and the child or young person will be seen within eight weeks for assessment. Each child or young person will receive an assessment in school, in college or at Northwick Park Hospital dependent on their needs. Following assessment, a decision will be made regarding future management and a written report provided.
This service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Contact Us Paediatric Therapy Department:
Chaucer Unit, Level 3, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Telephone: 0208 869 3010
The service is provided by London North West Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWHT).
For further information about the service visit LNWH Paediatric Physiotherapy