Paediatric Physiotherapy: Primary Schools
This Paediatric Physiotherapy service supports children and young people attending Harrow's Primary schools who have:
- Physical disabilities including cerebral palsy or muscular dystrophy
- Severe/complex disabilities
- Long term mobility issues
The child or young person must have a Harrow GP and/or should be a Harrow resident.
What does the service provide?
The team aim to provide a high-quality, needs-led service to children and young people with physical and motor difficulties. To achieve this, we work in partnership with the children, their parents or carers, teachers, teaching assistants, and other health, education and social care professionals and voluntary bodies.
Physiotherapy intervention is primarily carried out in partnership with parents, school staff and other professionals by providing:
- Assessment/review and report writing to establish how the pupil’s needs impact on their ability to access the school day.
- Joint target setting and strategy development with school staff for inclusion into the individual educational plan.
- Direct therapy for children with a specific clinical need as required. This always involves collaboration with school staff to ensure carryover into the classroom.
- Attendance at annual reviews and planning meetings as necessary.
- Training as required.
Emphasis is placed on supporting the school so that strategies can be implemented throughout the school day
How do I access the service?
Referrals are accepted from a medical practitioner (GP/consultant), a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or another health professional. Parental consent is essential to all referrals.
Referrals are processed by the principal physiotherapist and the child or young person is usually seen within eight weeks of referral. Each child or young person will receive an assessment in school or at Northwick Park Hospital dependent on their needs. Following assessment, a decision will be made regarding future management and a written report provided.
This service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Paediatric Therapy Department:
Chaucer Unit, Level 3, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Telephone: 0208 869 3010
The service is provided by London North West Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWHT).
For further information about the service visit LNWH Paediatric Physiotherapy