Paediatric Physiotherapy: Preschools
The paediatric physiotherapy preschool team work with children under five with:
- Physical disabilities including cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy
- Severe/complex disabilities
- Long term mobility issues
- Gross motor skill difficulties
- Developmental delay
The child must have a Harrow GP and/or should be a Harrow resident.
What does the service provide?
The team aims to provide a high-quality, needs-led service to children and young people with physical and motor difficulties. To achieve this, we work in partnership with the children, their parents or carers, nursery staff, and other health, education and social care professionals and voluntary bodies.
Therapy input from physiotherapists is provided alongside families and early years practitioners to provide strategies to support and develop a child’s gross motor skills at home and in their early years setting. This is achieved through:
- Assessment/review of a child’s needs and their response to interventions.
- Joint goal setting and strategy development with parents and nursery staff.
- Direct therapy for children with a specific clinical need as required.
The team is based in Chaucer Unit, at Northwick Park Hospital, but children are seen at the following locations across Harrow:
- Alexandra Avenue Health and Social Care Centre
- Northwick Park Hospital – Chaucer Unit
- Harrow nurseries and children centres
The physiotherapy team has access to interpreters, where the therapist does not speak the family's first language, to help with assessment, support and advice.
How do I access the service?
Referrals need to be made by a medical practitioner (GP/consultant), other health professional or an early years special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO). Parental consent is essential to all referrals.
Referrals are processed by the principal physiotherapist and will be seen within 8 weeks for assessment, following which further interventions will be planned to meet the child's clinical needs.
This service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Paediatric Therapy Department:
Chaucer Unit, Level 3, Northwick Park Hospital. Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Telephone: 0208 869 3010
The service is provided by London North West Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWHT).
For further information about the service visit LNWH Paediatric Physiotherapy