Paediatric Occupational Therapy: Preschools
This occupational therapy service supports children aged five and under, experiencing difficulties in one or more of the following functional areas:
- Activities of daily living: feeding, washing, dressing, grooming, toileting
- Productivity: play, leisure, access to the school curriculum
- Documentation: pre-writing skills
- Tool use: scissors, cutlery use
The service prioritises children with severe, complex or multiple impairments, and those with moderate to high levels of disability. Children must be registered with a Harrow GP and/or should be a Harrow resident.
What does the service provide?
Occupational therapists aim to provide a high quality, needs-led service to children to maximise their participation and independence in activities of daily life. These activities include:
- Productivity within the child playgroup, nursery or school
The team is based in Chaucer Unit, at Northwick Park Hospital, but children are seen at locations across Harrow and intervention is carried out in the following settings:
- Alexandra Avenue Health and Social Care Centre
- Northwick Park Hospital – Chaucer Unit
- Harrow nurseries and children centres
We work in partnership with children, their parents or carers, nursery staff, and other health, education, social care professionals and voluntary bodies.
Depending on the child’s specific needs identified during their assessment, intervention may include:
- Advice and strategies for nursery or home
- Individual / group treatment blocks
- Training packages and consultation for educational placements
The service has access to interpreters where the therapist does not speak the family's first language, to help with assessment, support and advice..
How do I access the service?
Referrals can be made by anyone who has parental consent and the service aims to see all children referred within eight weeks of receipt of referral.
Referral should state the child’s needs within specific areas of function, their date of birth, address, GP and telephone number.
This service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Paediatric Therapy Department
Chaucer Unit, Level 3, Northwick Park Hospital. Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
Telephone: 0208 869 3010
The service is provided by London North West Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWHT).
For further information about the service visit LNWH Paediatric Occupational Therapy