The Children's Sensory Team
We work with children and young people with hearing and / or vision impairment from birth to 25 years. We see children and young people in their homes, play-groups, nurseries, schools and colleges.
What does the service provide?
We are a team of qualified teachers, who all have experience of working in mainstream or special schools, with training for the additional specialist qualification in hearing impairment or vision impairment. The team also includes other specialist sensory staff with additional qualifications. We can:
- Offer support and advice to families about their child's sensory impairment
- Provide assessments regarding the child or young person's sensory impairment
- Write advice and provide strategies to support children in their learning and development
- Provide specialist equipment when needed
- Teach Braille and British Sign Language as appropriate
- Train teachers and other professionals about sensory impairment
- Liaise with parents and other professionals
- Provide awareness-raising sessions for peers
- Attend meetings and reviews
- Signpost families to other services
How do I access the service?
We have an open referral system. This means that pupils, parents / carers and professionals can all refer to us. The child or young person being referred must:
- Live in Harrow.
- Have a vision or hearing impairment.
- Be between 0 and 25 years of age.
Once referred, the child or young person with sensory impairment will be assessed by a specialist teacher in order to identify what support they will require from the Children's Sensory Team.If the young person is 16 years of age or over, and attends a sixth form college, the Children’s Sensory Team will continue to provide support.
If the young person is 16 years of age or over, and attends a further education college, their college will provide advice and support. Please see the Children's Sensory Team detailed information about the service for further information
Harrow Children's Sensory Team
Alexandra Avenue Health & Care Centre, 275 Alexandra Avenue, South Harrow, Middx HA2 9DX
For deaf or partially hearing callers, we welcome communication via email, fax, text or by using the Text Relay Service.
- Children's Sensory Team detailed information about the service
- What do you do if you suspect your child has a hearing or vision impairment?
- Possible signs of school age children having hearing difficulties
- Possible signs of school age children having vision difficulties
- What do you do if you feel that your child has social, emotional and mental health difficulties?
- What pupils say about Children's Sensory Team 2016
- Children' Sensory Team Parental Questionnaire 2016: What was fed back
- A leaflet about the Children's Sensory Team
- Useful contacts