Housing benefit is a benefit to help people who are on a low income to pay their rent. You may qualify for full housing benefit if you receive:
- Income Support
- Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Pension Credit (guaranteed)
You can apply for the above benefits at your local Job Centre or through the Pensions Service.
People who are not eligible
If you have a capital amount over £16,000, you will not be entitled to housing benefit unless you are receiving Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit (PCGC).
Owner-occupiers are not eligible for housing benefit but may be eligible for support from the Department for Work and Pensions with their mortgage interest. To be considered for this support you must be receiving Income Support, Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income Related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit.
- To find out if you are entitled for housing benefit, please go to the further info section.
- To apply for housing benefit, please go to the apply section.