Who is a pupil of the Virtual School?
The Virtual School consists of all children looked after and care leavers aged 3-19. It includes three categories of young people:
- Children in the care of Harrow and living in Harrow/ educated in Harrow schools
- Children in the care of Harrow but living/educated in other authorities
- Children in the care of other authorities but educated in Harrow schools.
Specific duties of a Virtual School?
- Offer advice and support to professionals working with Children Looked After (eg foster carers, social care staff, education professionals) on day to day educational issues
- Advocate on behalf of Children Looked After when needed
- Offer advice and support to Children Looked After directly
- Support the education planning process via involvement in the PEP (Personal Education Plan) process
- Provide advice and direct support around specific issues such as school admission/transfer, behaviour, attendance, exclusion, SEN issues and transition
The Virtual School will also consider requests for additional tuition for Children Looked After who are in danger of falling behind. 1-2-1 tuition may be provided by the child's school or by teaching commissioned externally. As funds are limited, priority will be given to students in Years 6, 9, 10 and 11, but all requests will be given careful consideration.
A referral may be made by the child's school, carer or social worker, or it may come directly from the child. In all cases, the referral should be made directly to the Virtual Headteacher.