What is the schools forum?
The schools forum is made up of representatives from schools and academies, with some representation from other non-school organisations, such as nurseries and 14-19 education providers. The forum acts as a consultative body on some issues and a decision making body on others.
The forum provides a consultative role for:
- changes to the local funding formula (the local authority is responsible for the final decision, although in some cases it may delegate the decision-making power to the schools forum)
- proposed changes to the operation of the minimum funding guarantee
- new or changes to existing contracts affecting schools (e.g. school meals)
- arrangements for pupils with special educational needs, in pupil referral units and in early years provision
The forum is responsible for decisions on:
- how much funding may be centrally retained within the Dedicated Schools Grant (e.g. for the admissions service)
- the proposed amount of deficits from central spend that are carried forward from one year to the next
- proposals to de-delegate (recover) funding from maintained primary and secondary schools (e.g. for staff supply cover)
- changes to the scheme of financial management
Meetings, key documents, agendas and minutes
For information about meetings, key documents, agendas and minutes, see the further info section.